Fort Crook Lodge 250 F&AM

(Note: In a 2015 search of California Lodges, Lodge #270 is listed with Grand Lodge of California as being the Wesport Lodge 270, chartered October 16, 1884 and having surrendered its charter May 26, 1888.  Also note that the town of Burgettville apparently became Glenburn, about seven miles northeast of Fall River Mills.  No information on Fall River Lodge was found.  Research discovered the following tidbit:  1887 July 30, Shasta Republican “BURGETTVILLE is a thriving little town situated on Fall River[stream], in the midst of the fertile portion of the valley, is six miles northwest of Fall River [Mills]. The new wagon road to Sisson [Mt. Shasta City] will start from this place, and is bound to make it boom. The town has a fine church, schoolhouse, town hall, and a flourishing lodge of Masons.”  The information below comes from the historical research of Eugene T. Asher.  Robert A. Boyce Sr, Secretary 2015) 

Though it carried on for 12 years, Fall River Lodge No. 270 of Burgettville, Shasta County, may well be described as a Lodge that entered upon a slow death in the third year of its existence.  During that short period, it saw the town in which it was located lose its early identity twice, changing from Burgettville to Swasey and from Swasey to Glenburn. 


Fall River Lodge received its dispensation from Grand Master Clay W. Taylor July 30, 1883 and its charter on October 11, a little less than 2-1/2 months later.  When it filed its returns on October 11, it had 12 Master Masons on the roll.  Albert Benjamin Chase, Samuel Tate Rock and John Edmond Moors were, respectively: Master, Senior and Junior Warden.  It was apparently in good financial condition, for the Grand Lodge Committee on Charters noted that it “owned its own hall and furniture and has over $600 in its treasury.”  It had already conferred two degrees and received 13 petitions for degrees. 

In 1885, this Lodge reached its peak membership of 31 Master Masons.  Most of these were apparently scattered, for Grand Master Henry Sayre Orme observed in October 1894 that they had not held a meeting for a year and recommended revocation of their charter.  On recommendation of the Committee on Charters, however, the charter was ordered continued till June 1895, at which time the Fall River brethren promised the Lodge would be “in good working order.” 

But, it was no use.  Fall River was still unable to hold a meeting and, on October 10, 1895, Grand Lodge revoked its charter. 

Glenburn Community Church is the oldest existing building in Glenburn, dating back to 1885.  As of this date, we have not been able to locate any pictures of the Fall River Lodge hall

Fall River Lodge 270